Katharine Hepburn

The yacht (Irene Selznick) rented was 125 feet long, carrying a crew of eight and four passengers, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Irene and me. We sailed from Balboa, on the California coast, for Catalina, hardly a seafaring voyage, but I was so in awe of Hepburn and Tracy, I was seasick the entire voyage. The few times we dropped anchor, I went swimming with Hepburn and retook my stomach. My eyesight returned to normal and I noticed that Hepburn's green eye shadow didn't come off even in the water. Self-invented, she was flamboyantly unadorned. The eye shadow was her only makeup. She did bring two huge, bulging fortnighters for what was only a weekend; all day long, she changed into identical spotless, patched white (pants) and spotless patched white shirts." Arthur Laurents, Original Story, Alfred A. Knopf, 2000, p. 83