The land that is now Danbury Township (Ohio) was once part of Connecticut.
In 1662 King Charles II of England granted a Royal Charter, giving the State of Connecticut the land between the 41st and 42nd parallel from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.
After the Revolutionary War, other states claimed parts of the western territories, leaving Connecticut with a tract 120 miles long along the southern shore of Lake Erie.
According to information from the Erie County Historical Society, even though there was not much military activity in the state of Connecticut during the war, the British forces attempted to cripple the manufacturing and shipping activities that were keeping American forces supplied.
Civilian properties such as homes, churches and schools were destroyed. One of the worst episodes was in Norwalk, where 80 of the 86 homes in the town were burned, along with two churches, 87 barns, four mills and five vessels.
Danbury Township in Ottawa County was part of the land that was given to the “Fire Sufferers,” many of whom died or sold their claims to speculators.
Information for this article was provided by the websites for the Firelands Historical Society, for Historic Lyme Village and for Erie County.