Fort Hoop (Dutch: Fort Huys de Goede Hoop) was a settlement in the seventeenth century colonial province of New Netherland that eventually developed into Hartford, Connecticut.
In 1623, the Geoctroyeerde West-indische Compagnie (WIC), commonly known in English as the Dutch West India Company 1621–1793 of the United Netherlands Dutch Republic built a fortified trading house of the Roman Castra design with a praetorium, castra ways, and gates.
Fort Hoop was located on the south bank of the Little River (now Park River)
The directors at Fort Orange (now Albany) and Fort Amsterdam (now New York City) had planned Fort Hoop to be the northeastern fortification and trading center.
The land on which Fort Huys de Goede Hoop was situated was part of a larger tract purchased on June 8, 1633, by Jacob van Curler on behalf of the company from the Sequins, one of the clans of Connecticut Indians. Curler added a block house and palisade to the post while New Amsterdam sent a small garrison and a pair of cannons.
The fort was commended by 1654 by the settlers to New England. English settlers from other New England colonies moved into the Connecticut Valley in the 1630s.
In 1633, William Holmes led a group of settlers from Plymouth Colony to the Connecticut Valley, where they established Windsor, a few miles north of the Dutch trading post.
The English population of the area exploded in 1636 when clergyman Thomas Hooker led 100 settlers, including Richard Risley, with 130 head of cattle in a trek from Newtown (now Cambridge) in the Massachusetts Bay Colony to the banks of the Connecticut River, where they established Hartford directly across the Park River from the Old Dutch fort.
Hooker and Company Journeying through the Wilderness from Plymouth to Hartford, in 1636